GEEK SPEAK – Starting out dusting shelves in a comic book shop in 2012, Amanda Bacchi was a part of a Youtube web series as the ‘girly geek’ host, interviewer, media liaison, podcaster and scriptwriter, discussing current TV series, movies, gaming, comics, books, and local events. Amanda’s crafty communication skills managed to wrangle the program onto 5 community TV channels across Australia and New Zealand for 2 seasons.
31 DIGITAL – An interview about the series led to a permanent co-hosting gig with the weekly, variety/comedy program The Late Night Show LIVE on Brisbane’s Community TV channel, 31 Digital, as their pop culture correspondent from 2012-14.
ZOMBIE WALK – Media coverage of Brisbane Zombie Walk since 2012, lead to Amanda hosting their main stage and costume competition in 2014-17. She was crowned the Australian Zombie Walk Queen (by Foxtel) for her cosplay in 2013, and judged cosplay competitions for the Brisbane Alternative Expo and Drawn2Life in 2013/14.
OZ COMIC CON – After conducting some impromptu guest interviews for the Oz Comic-Con media team, Amanda was recruited to be a core staff member, and Stage 3 Coordinator for 17 of their conventions, from 2014-18. She was a host/moderator for comic book artists/creators, voice actors, film actors, and writer/author/publisher guests for the Oz Comic Con popular culture conventions across Australia.
Amanda loves her job as a Library Assistant for Brisbane Libraries, especially her work in facilitating pop culture events such as the monthly pop culture/comic book meetup which has been running since Oct 2014.
#CHAOSFARM – In her spare time, she can be found at the Chaos farm; the home base for Bawden’s Cockatoo Chaos, a mobile wildlife educational facility for which she has been an animal trainer and presenter at shows, schools, and conventions for many years.
SES – Amanda joined the Queensland State Emergency Service in February 2017, and was appointed the functional Team Leader for Community Engagement for Brisbane Northern Group in April 2018. She is looking forward to learning leadership skills, making friends, and being an active part of her community, and has already participated in several activation activities, such as storm damage, and community events.
Amanda hosts a regular pop culture podcast, called ‘Most POPular’, focusing on international news, reviews, interviews, & events, with Dr. Paul Mason (comic book artist – Kid Phantom, university lecturer).
She is an avid gardener, loves to read, watches WAY too much Netflix, and spends lots of time with her family, friends, and birds.
Location: Wavell Heights QLD 4012 Australia
– 5.5 years of experience in local government. 5 years in libraries & 6 months in community events
– 17 years of experience in the events, customer service & hospitality industry
– 6 years of experience in the broadcast media (television, web/online & radio) industry
– 8 years of experience in wildlife demonstrating & stage management related events/presenting
Qualifications and Licenses
– Bachelor of Arts (Major: Public Relations, Minors: Marketing, Media Studies, & Journalism) University of Southern Queensland, graduated 2015.
– Current C class driver’s license, & own reliable vehicle.
– ‘Working with Children’ Blue Card, Responsible Service of Alcohol & Gaming, and ‘Apply First Aid’, & Mental Health First Aid Certifications
- Apply interpersonal and communication skills and customer focus attributes to provide a dynamic public library service, and respond to & resolve the majority of customer service requests
- Participate in the planning and effective delivery of activities including promotion, outreach, library programs (including storytelling), and user education both within the library and the community.
- Utilise knowledge of the full range of library collections, products and services and experience in working with a wide variety of these products and services to grow library membership, retain existing customers and increase library usage
- Work as a constructive and flexible team member and actively support the Team Leader to achieve Council and Library Services outcomes including the ability to supervise a work team.
- Provide accurate and current reference and community information at the point of need (e.g. roving reference service, information desk), and the ability to encourage enthusiasm for reading through effective readers advisory.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and operate library technical equipment, rapidly acquire new skills with emerging technology such as self-service equipment, book sorting machine, online booking systems, WiFi and radio frequency identification (RFID).
- Contribute to team direction, give and receive feedback and achieve agreed performance standards, and contribute to a culture of performance excellence.
Achievements: Nominated for a Staff Excellence award for the delivery of exceptional customer services & children’s events at Hamilton Library. Involvement in young adult programming and events at Brisbane Square Library.
Administration, Auditing & Employment Consultant
ReSolutions Disability Employment – Endeavour Foundation (2008-2011)
- Governmental finance, tender writing, meeting minutes, marketing/advertising/brand management, auditing, customer service, records management, stock management, confidentiality, IT assistance, and the understanding of several government and note taking software packages.
- Awareness and acceptance of co-workers/stakeholders who may be disabled, or facing hardship, and how to ensure that the workplace is a safe and productive place for them to work.
Contracted Events Manager
Hervey Bay City Council (2007-2008)
- Liaising with a number of government department, volunteers, security, market stallholders, food, entertainment, fireworks and amusement ride operators to coordinate large scale community events
- Budgeting with over $15,000, including sponsorship packages and pro-rata advertising Packages
- Venue scouting, risk management, and workplace health and safety procedures
- Liaising with local and national media for advertising/promotion of the event to secure visitor numbers
- Facebook marketing, trend analysis, target market identification and research, competitions, direct marketing
- Extensive use of social media for brand recognition, target market analysis , as well as script writing, presenting, interviewing, researching, media liaison, creation of public relations & social media plans/strategies
Oz Comic Con Events(Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, & Melbourne)
- Guest DVD/YouTube interviewer & Cosplay Judge 2014
- Stage Manager, Panel Moderator & Volunteer Manager 2014 – 2017
Brisbane Zombie Walk – Organising Committee Member 2013 – 2016
- Media, Main Stage Host/Manager, Costume Competition Coordinator, & Volunteer Coordinator
31 Digital Community TV
(Channel 44, Brisbane)
- Volunteer TV Host, Jan 2013 – Oct 2014
‘The Late Nite Show’ Co-host. LIVE Thurs 9-10pm
- ‘Showreel’ Guest, Presenter, Writer, Researcher, & Photographer (2013/14)
- ‘This Town Brisbane’ Casual Presenter (2013/14)
- Newsletter Coordination with Graphic Designer & Technical Director (2013)
Bawden’s Cockatoo Chaos (2009 – current)
- Animal behavioural management training (specifically positive reinforcement techniques taught by internationally recognised specialists) for avian wildlife demonstrations and consultations since 2009.
- Developing programs to interactively educate the public about avian pet care, native animals, and the environment through informative and entertaining presentations, in a mobile environment. (preschools, schools, show societies, specially functions/events)
Heritage City Music (2005 – 2007)
- Band & Youth Event Management with Maryborough City Council
- Youth Week Events, volunteer management, budgeting, sound/lighting, committee coordination, security, advertising/promotion, venue hire/management
Queensland State Emergency Service (SES), Northern Brisbane Group
Community Member since Mar 2017
Functional Team Leader – Community Engagement since April 2018
Training Completed: First Aid & CPR, Briefings & Debriefings, Fire Safety, Ropes & Knots, Storm Damage, Radio & Communications, Team Building, Perform in a Rescue Operation, Land Search, & TAMS Task Manager, Australasian Inter-Service Incident Management Training, & SES Leadership Training (weekend workshop).
Other: Events/Public Relations & Media
BRISBANE POP CULTURE EXPO & DRAWN2LIFE COSPLAY GROUP (Guest Cosplay Judge) 2014
GEEK SPEAK TV (Presenter, Script Writer, Media Liaison, Social Media, Webseries, Podcast,) 2012
KABOOM COMICS (Retail Assistant & Events Coordinator) 2011/12
102.7fm TOOWOOMBA COMMUNITY RADIO (Volunteer Announcer) 2011/12
ASP PHOTOGRAPHY (Administration and Studio Assistant) 2011
HIGHFIELDS PIONEER VILLAGE (Volunteer Events Assistant, and Member) 2009/10
USQ Fraser Coast Student Guild Volunteer (Fundraising Events) 2004/06
MARYBOROUGH CRICKET CLUB (Bar/Events/Waitstaff/Admin) 2005/07
BAYSWATER TAVERN (Bar/Events/Waitstaff) 2007
NRG EVENTS AND PROMOTIONS 2004-2005
RED ROOSTER (Cashier) 2003-2004
ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB (Bar/Events/Waitstaff) 2001-2003
References: Current Events Manager, Library Manager & Personal
(please email for more information)